× Forum for the GPXTrackMap Content Plugin for Joomla! 2.5 and 3.x

Actual lengt is not correct

fingeradmin replied the topic: Actual lengt is not correct

11 years 4 months ago

Hoi Ad,

alright then, i'll leave it as it is for now.

(the parameter would be easy to implement, but the number of parameters is always growing and growing... i just don't want it to become too complicated ;) )

groetjes uit de Eifel! - Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

advanm replied the topic: Actual lengt is not correct

11 years 4 months ago

Hi Frank,

i suppose i have to watch more carefully when saving a GPX track in basecamp and save just one track instead of 2. I have seen this before but never saw an incorrect value for the distance so probably the other component ignores one of the 2 tracks.

you can just leave it as it is right now, i have to pay more attention that i'm saving just one track.

thanks for the help and the great plugin. now ik can use my tracks in joomla 2.5 because the other one doesn't work in joomla 2.6

cheers,
Ad

11 years 4 months ago

Hi,

well - the other plugin obviously parses out only the first track in the file and then stops. Mine doesn't, it parses the second track as well. Now one could argue which of the two behaviours is correct :)

What i could do is build a parameter like "Ignore multiple tracks" or something, which would work like the other plugin: just read the first track and don't care if there are multiple tracks in the file.

(I would make this a parameter with default set to No, because IMHO simply ignoring the other tracks by default is not the way to go...)

What do you think?

cheers, Frank

advanm replied the topic: Actual lengt is not correct

11 years 4 months ago

That's strange because when i use the same GPX file on my other site with another plug-in the distance is correct. I used the exactly same GPX file.

You can check ik at www.skateintilburg.nl and then choose skate routes. It's the heumen on wheels track.

I saved this one from basecampe actualy.

11 years 4 months ago

Hi again,

i found the cause: your GPX file actually contains two tracks: one called "11-MEI-13" and one called "ACTIVE LOG". They both seem to be copies of the same physical track.

Now the plugin runs through the file and adds up distances between all the track points it finds (regardless of what track they are in), so it's not surprising that it reports exactly twice the length of the single track.

Solution is easy: import the GPX file into Basecamp, delete one of the two tracks and export the file with only one copy of the track in it. You can also do this with a text editor - i did it here with Notepad++: Delete everything from line 872 ("<trk>") to and including line 2013 ("</trk>") and save the file.

hth & cheers, Frank

11 years 4 months ago

Hi there,

i'll take a look at your file and see what i can find out.

A long weekend ahead and nothing but rain predicted, so
i hopefully will find the time to analyse this... ;)

cheers, Frank