× Forum for the GPXTrackMap Content Plugin for Joomla! 2.5 and 3.x

Map from absolute url

fingeradmin replied the topic: Map from absolute url

10 years 11 months ago

Hi Oliver,

i think i have it working (using URLs instead of relative paths) in the latest beta. Please go here to download and test it.

Hope it works! :)

cheers,
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago

Hi Oliver,

first of all, the gpx directory doesn't have to be /images/gpxtracks - you can configure it in the plugin options (it's the fvery first setting) and set it to any folder you like. You should make sure the access rights in that folder are set accordingly, of course.

Secondly, if you're using JCE you can use that to let users upload their gpx tracks AND include them in articles. Here you'll find detailed instructions on how it works, and how to configure JCE to make it work.

Third, if i understand correctly, your gpx files *are* on the local server, but they are only referenced by url instead of a local path, right? In that case, i could try to build an option where the plugin would calculate the local path (which it needs in order to open the file) from the url. Big advantage here: all the rest of the plugin (track infos, diagrams etc.) would still be working.

But you should really look at the second option, i think it works quite nicely.

cheers, Frank

obm replied the topic: Map from absolute url

10 years 11 months ago

Thanks for such a quick reply!

Ok, let's explain better...

We want that our publishers would be able to upload their own tracks. To do so we have also installed the attachments pluggin (extensions.joomla.org/extensions/directo...ation/downloads/3115) than enable us to upload files within the post (see first picture in the attached file) in a specific folder (miacum.net/attachments/article/33/prueba-carrera-miacum.gpx)

As you may imagine the quickest way to bind that with your plugging is to use the absolute url.

Could be another way to do so?

As far as I see, your pluggin requires to upload files into /images/gpxtracks folder and we would like this to be diferent... it could help if this could be changed or configured to attachments folder.

I hope now you could understant our real litte issue.

Kind regards,

Oliver

Attachments:

10 years 11 months ago

Hi Oliver,

hmm, i have never thought of this use case - it probably doesn't work atm because the plugin tries to read the gpx file directly "from disk" to get the Track Infos, render elevation diagram etc.

Can you provide an example of what your URLs would look like? (that url would have to go into the invocation code).

Maybe i could build an option for "non-local" tracks that would skip all the parsing of the track file - at the cost of not having Track infos and stuff, of course.

I don't know what you're trying to do, but can't you just download the files to your server?

EDIT: i just did a quick test - with a small modification of the plugin code, it does display the track from an external URL (but, as said, no Track Infos). It does still throw some warnings (because it can't find the file), but that would be easy to switch off.

cheers,
Frank

Last edit: 10 years 11 months ago by fingeradmin. Reason: edited quick test remark
The following user(s) said Thank You: obm

obm created the topic: Map from absolute url

10 years 11 months ago

Hi!

I am so excited with your plugging because is exactly what we have been seeking for weeks, now that we have installed and nearly ready to let it know to our publishers, we have found a little issue; we cannot generate a map from an absolute url. It seems that have to be relative to and internal folder.

I hope you could help us on this.

Thanks,

Oliver